First of all, I want to start out saying this headboard project was less challenging then most projects of this sort because I already had a great headboard to work with. It had a great frame and the fabric was still intact. Instead of removing the fabric and working with the foam I decided to try to upholster it on top of the fabric and frame.
First I laid the headboard down on the front to cut my fabric and see how much I need to work with on the back. I put a piece of duck tape on the center point in the back so I could keep it in place while flipping it over.
These are the tools you will need. I recommend using heavy duty staples. The ones I had were OK... I ended up stapling twice as much. Invest in a great heavy duty stapler and heavy staples for an upholstery project like this one.
This may sound strange but I tackled this project backward. Most people upholster the fabric first and then do the nailhead second. I read about so many people who had so many problems with the nailhead placement after the fabric was taught.. I decided to do the nailhead first since I already had this outline in the headboard as an easy guide. I just filled it in with my finger and decided to nail away.
This nailhead trim is the most basic and easy to use on the market. You can buy it here: Jo Ann Fabric. It comes in a giant spool and the nailhead is easy to bend around corners and add to the boards shape. You get a set of nail head nails with it and every 5 spots you nail in a nail to make it look uniform. No glue or serious hammering involved! I told you this was a lazy girls guide :)
Once I had all the nail trim down it was easy to see where my fabric would pull and where I had to cut to make it tight at the top. This is a tricky shape and I love the way it looks but it definitely takes some careful precision cutting.
I just started pulling at the top while being careful not to pull the nailhead trim out. I would just staple the extra fabric to the back and then would cut on the curves where I needed an overlap. You can see there is a slight bit of bunching here which I hated but I pulled it tighter and tighter and stapled it to death so it would be a cleaner line.
For the legs... I can't believe I did this but I didn't cut my own pieces for the legs. What I did was cut out the inner box that was between the legs. I left 6 inches at the bottom to staple up so the headboard was tight all around. Then i wrapped the leg fabric in itself an stapled all on the back. This is what it looked it. It came out clean and nice because the pattern continued from the top of the board!
I made sure to pull it tight and staple it on the inside before I did the top piece. I made sure the top piece folded in so there was no seam showing. Then added some staples. The back of this headboard is not as pretty as the front... but who is going to see that!
This is the headboard complete! The curves came out really nice and I love the shiny nailhead. I think it dresses up the fabric big time.
Ta Da! This is the final look with our guest bedding. I am so excited about the different patterns. It really pops in the room. I wish I didn't have to put the bed up again the wall here but its the only way the bed fits.
Anyway I hope you enjoyed reading about this project. Here is the cost breakdown below:
Fabric (Jo Ann's 60% OFF): $29 for 2 yards (I really only needed 1-1.5 but wanted extra for pillows or framed art)
Nailhead Trim: $20 Jo Ann's (20% OFF with code SAVE047)
Heavy Duty Staples: $4
Total Project Cost: $53... not too shabby considering the headboard I originally wanted was $600!
Don't forget to follow my DIY Pinterest page below for more project updates. You can also follow me on instagram for fun smaller projects I post!